Looking to plan your Christmas break? Christmas in London provides endless opportunities for festive fun for all ages! Here are some suggestions to occupy the young ones during the Christmas period.
- Spend an afternoon creating the perfect mince pie with all hands on from the kids!
- Be the most popular Nanny in the City by attending the ‘Dino Snores’ event, London’s Natural History Museum’s first ever kids Christmas sleepover! Tickets can be purchased for 7-11 year olds and includes a lovely dinner, breakfast in the morning and a rare opportunity to see the museum after dark with a special Christmas touch.
- Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland opens on 18th November and with free entry for all there is no excuse to miss this event! Santa Land is the location of the famous Grotto where you can take the children to meet Santa and his elves free of charge every day until 6pm! Follow this link for a 3 hour itinerary carefully crafted for a festive day out perfect for the little ones!
- A visit to a Christmas pantomime is the perfect way to enter into the Christmas spirit! With plenty of options across London, you will be spoilt for choice! Cinderella opens on the 10th December at The London Palladium and with a few famous faces it is guaranteed to be perfect family-friendly entertainment, P.S don’t forget your glass slipper!
- Still need to start your Christmas shopping? Covent Garden pulls out all the stops at Christmas time! Whether you need to visit a designer store or take the children to the many toy shops there are plenty of options in this picturesque cobbled part of the City. In addition to the shops, street performers are regularly entertaining the shoppers and with one of London’s biggest Christmas tree’s the children are unlikely to be disappointed!
- If the children are a little bit older you may want something a little more exciting. Christmas provides more opportunity than ever to Ice Skate in London. With many permanent and temporary Ice Rinks popping up around the Capital you have a number of options where to take up one of winters favourite past times. Most Rinks are open all day and well into the evening, and offer little boots for kids ensuring it’s a family-friendly activity!
TIP: Most rinks offer a little penguin for young ones to help them better navigate and stabilise themselves on the ice. Note that these are often limited in numbers and need to be booked in advance!
- A Christmas lights switch on always enhances the Christmas spirit and which better one to attend than Regent Street on Thursday 17th November? The inspiration behind this year’s festivities has originated from the very first Christmas lights on Regent Street in 1954, featuring traditional angels. Live entertainment has been promised and last year’s event included the cast of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so there is bound to be another exciting act appearing this year to brighten up the faces of the little ones you care for!
- It’s time to Build-A-Bear at Hamley’s Toy Store! With a special Christmas selection with options ranging between Santa’s reindeer and The Grinch, there really is something for everyone – you included! Not only will the Build-A-Bear workshop get the little ones excited, but its Hamley’s location means you’re in for hours of fun!
Not interested? Well how about The Hamley’s Christmas Toy Parade on Regent Street on Sunday 20th November? From 10.30 am some of your charge’s favourite toys from TV and Film etc. will be literally pouring out onto the Street for the biggest Toy Parade London has ever seen, don’t let your little ones be the ones to miss out!
- And finally, something for all the family, the traditional Norwegian Christmas tree will return to Trafalgar Square from the 1st December. Standing at a staggering 25 metres and holding 900 miniature magical lights, you’ll be soaking up the magical atmosphere as Princess Astrid of Norway joins the celebrations. The ceremony annually celebrates Norway’s recognition of Britain’s support during the Second World War, making this event a beautifully historical but also wonderfully festive one that is fit for all ages!